Saturday 25 August 2012

75 minutes in the literary world

And it was one of the best 75 minutes of my life. I didn't stay till the end of the event but up till the last second I was there, I felt I belong and I loved it.
The event was organised by  Farafina Trust Creative Workshop in conjunction with Nigerian Breweries to mark the  end of their annual workshop for creative writing.
Earlier in the day though, when my friend told me about the event, it was hard deciding whether or not to go. The 'crazy' side of my conscience preached to me on the danger of going out at night (After all, my friend was almost kidnapped last night). We had a long talk. Me and my persuasive inner mind. However, at 5 'O clock, I packed my bag and off I went to Eko  Hotel. I'm glad I did.
Please listen to Onyeka Onwenu ,



while you enjoy looking at some of the pictures I took at the event {Please Pardon the picture quality :) }
With the amazing Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She's one of the world best writers but she has this humility around her. So blessed to have taken this picture with her...

With one of the fine boys. Meet Eghosa Imasuen, the writer of 'fine boys'. This book has a lot of good reviews, you need to read it.  Today, Eghosa is having a book launch, so please be there. Check here for more info.

With Mr. Rob Spillman. He is one of the coolest guy in the world. I like him. He is the editor of Tinhouse, an online literary magazine. Told him all about 'true me'. He promised to share his thoughts with me. Super 'psyched'.

The ever green voice of Onyeka Onwenu and her band.

The beautiful ballroom. The event started some minutes after I took this picture.

I've always said any time I meet her, I will get a hug and a picture. I did. Yayyyyyyy!!!!!

With Jeff Allen. Another humble guy. The next time I see him, would ask him, how he stays humble, despite his huge success? I like him.

He won the caine prize for African Writing. He is here in Nigeria supporting young creative writers. His name is Binyavanga Wainaina. I really like him. He also promised to look at my blog and share his thoughts. Can't wait. Thank you sir.

A not so clear picture. But hey, we are happy people...

The hostess: The beautiful Miss Ireti Doyle
Yes. It was one of the best 75 minutes of my life. Congratulations to the class of 2012. I'm proud of you all and can't wait to read your story.
As an aspiring writer, I've learnt that being original is your best bet. Like Charles Peguy says "A word is not the same with one writer as with another.  One tears it from his guts.  The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket."
Stay true to yourself, no matter what!!!
See you at Eghosa's Book launch.

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  ~William Wordsworth

Thanks a lot for reading and have a great weekend. Hugs!!!

2 comments:

  1. Fagbemi kayode ayoola25 August 2012 at 09:01

    You really doing great dear...keep it up and all the best. #wink#

    ReplyDelete