Saturday 26 May 2012

SHUT UP AND THINK AGAIN


One of my earliest prayer as a kid was this:
Some have food but cannot eat
Some can eat but have no food
We have food and we can eat
Glory be to thee o Lord. Amen.

I’m sure all Nigerian kids would know this. It was the shortest and simplest prayer for me then. Why I am talking about this? Because, sometimes, in fact, every time, we complain.

Many of us complain a lot. I do too. We want it perfect all the time. A good job, good pay, best husband, perfect health, travel the world, study abroad, perfect this, perfect that. What happened to the good old days of living simple and being happy and grateful???

Well, right now, I want us to shut up, look around us and try to appreciate the many blessings we have.

I remember telling you about Alimat when I first started blogging. She is about 13 years old, Lame and the bread winner of her family (Will never forget what she said, 'Mom asked me to beg so that I can bring some money home. She said if I don’t, I won’t eat'). Like every other child beggar on the street, she sits on the floor, under the hot sun, begging for alms. But I've never heard her complain. Thinking about it now, she smiles all the time. If you were in her shoes, would you do the same?

A friend of mine used this picture as his screen saver one time.

I was captivated by its message ‘so, you think life is difficult, think again and again’.

At least, some of us get through some of our problems but imagine being like this for ever. 


Or like this...
I cried when I heard about Didier. Just so glad the mole has been removed and he is better.
So, the next time you feel sad because you missed that scholarship, or you got heartbroken; or your car got stolen, just shut up and think again. 

There are people who are facing the worst of situations. Some have food but they can’t eat. Others can eat but have no food. They need your prayers. Some even come out it gracefully and enjoy life (She without arm, he without leg). They keep on smiling.

So why shouldn’t you? Remember, you have food and you can eat. Be grateful for the little you have and stop complaining.

Take care of you.

Thanks for reading J

Enjoy my new favourite song the fighter

 Hugs...

4 comments:

  1. chec,chec.....nice 1
    (remember to give some warning on Image content sha).
    For me, lesson learnt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops!!my bad. I will. Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reality check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Paul. Thank you so much for reading :)

      Delete