Tuesday 31 July 2012

Big Words vs Small Words: The Epic Battle

As avid readers, which do you prefer: Write-ups with 'tough', 'have-to-check-the-dictionary' vocabulary or one with a simpler vocabulary?


What's your perception of an article that contains 'stronger vocabulary'? Matured, knowledgeable? Or do you think that articles with easier words are amateurish?


Had a discussion with a friend last week and he said 'I love reading articles in which I learn newer words'. Like him, I relish the art of learning. However, I'm a freak for simpler words. It's easier for me to read articles  that are simpler 'cos I get to understand them at first sight. It's not laziness. It's just me, being simple.


Please compare these two statements, and let me know what you think:
1) A quote from a popular Nigerian Senator "I share those sentiments, but at the same time, let us not forget that the country was in a state of economical quagmaya, political fantasmagorie and social stupor at the time the president came on board".
2) My version 'I share those sentiments, but at the same time, let us not forget that the country was in a state of chaos as at the time the president came on board'.
So, which is your preference? 'The grammatical jargon' or 'the straight to the point sentence'.


'Big vocabulary versus Simpler Vocabulary'- Your choice.
The battle begins.


Thanks a billion for reading. Hugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment