Thursday 30 August 2012

UNSUNG HEROES

I've always admired heroism. I draw my inspiration from heroic acts. Growing up, I was a big fan of Hercules, John Smith (in Pocahontas), Troy, and all the Big hunky heroes that I hung out with in the TV world and in books. Even though some were merely fictitious, they seemed to do a lot of 'saving', and left their mark in the sands of time.
Image source: zobolove.com
I wanted to be a hero. I still want to be a hero. I always tell myself that no matter what the odds are, I would be some sort of Hero. I will leave my mark.
However, I admit that back then, as a kid, I had a stunted view of what a hero really is. Right now, my view has changed.
Some heroes are celebrated. They receive accolades and their stories linger on eternally. But what about the other heroes: the quiet ones; the ones behind the guys that are top-notch; the ones we never see; the ones in the background; the UNSUNG heroes? They don't receive accolades. NO. Their praises aren't sung and maybe, we may never know about them. But, in my heart, they are heroes. We might not find their footprint in the sands of time, we might not discuss them in history class, but they sure leave their mark in the hearts of those who love them. They may be zero to the world. The unimportant ones. But, they are heroes to those who truly understand their values. Life would be bitter without them.
I think we are all HEROES in some way. The only difference is that ‘we aren’t recognized by the world’. But, we are still heroes anyway, from the cleaning lady who cleans the office, to the single mother who works hard to provide for her 5 kids, to the doctors and nurses who save lives everyday and the teacher who ensures that we are educated well enough to communicate. Fathers- they work their hearts out as head of their home while making time to be friends to their kids. The friend who leaves everything to go babysit her best friend. The listener. The back-up singers and dancers and You, working hard in the name of blood, sweat and tears to be a hero to someone. Yes. We are all heroes. We all have super power abilities.

The dictionary defines a ‘Hero’ as a person who is admired for their courage and noble qualities. There are more than a billion people who have all of those 'noble' qualities and more. They are heroes. They live each day with courage and humility whether or not they are qualified to be on the world map. They live their lives without regrets and are happy, despite the outcome of tomorrow. 
These are the unsung heroes. The ones behind the scene. The ones who truly does the saving.
I’m excited to be a hero finally. What about you?
“Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back.”  Jodi Picoult, Second Glance

How is your day so far?
Thanks a billion for reading J You made my day HERO. Hugs!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment