Saturday 6 October 2012

SELF-IMAGE


My ‘deep-thinking’ friend, Mr. Moby once asked; what’s the colour of a mirror? Other than the fact that it’s made of silver, and the wood or plastic varies in colour, I wouldn't say it's white, or grey. Maybe, it’s transparent (But, transparent isn't a color, right?)…The mirror truly reflects who we are and maybe what we want to see…
Image source:ziggysblog

It’s amazing how most of us let other people define what we see in our individual image. One negative comment turns us into another being....

The world is a smaller place to live in now. We want to be  like the next person, as such, we lose ourselves in the bid to do that.

I saw some ‘dead’ pictures yesterday, of a young man in the University of Port Harcourt, he’s 22 and an engineering student and was beaten to death ‘cos unfortunately, he was caught during a robbery attempt. He’s so cute and I wondered where he lost it. I can imagine the terror he must have caused his family and families he's attacked. I wondered why he allowed his peers, maybe his society, affect his choices? What did he gain in the end?

Spoke with my psychologist friend yesterday and he told me the story of a girl who in a bid to lose weight injected some ‘miracle working medication’ into her tongue. Apparently it works that way. She got what she wanted, became a figure 8, but the medication did not stop there, it kept on’ drying’ her up till she fell into a coma and eventually was buried yesterday. She did it for a guy. Her boyfriend needed a flat tummy and he got a dead girl with low self- esteem. My friend concluded with these words  ‘there are 4 types of self- images: your actual self -image; your ideal self- image, the expected self- image and the social self- image. Your actual image is who you are. Your expected image is who you want to be. The expected image is what someone wants you to be. Society dictates your social image. Be the best you there is, in a good way. Don’t let anyone dictate that’.
We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light. ~Mary Dunbar
So, the next time you look in the mirror, figure out what you see. A great man or a poor mind. See it through rose-coloured prism, not because you are lying to yourself but because you believe there are shades of grey and you love yourself no matter what. Encourage yourself, be kind to yourself, forgive yourself, and love yourself.

I don’t know how the celebrities do it but I think some are really strong when it comes to being themselves. They don’t let popular opinion or their ‘environment’ rule their day even though they live in the public eyes…I don’t know how they go through hateful comments and backlashes, but I guess, their personal beliefs and strong will help them.

Like the celebrities, I used to suffer from low self-esteem. I cared about what people said about me. I yearned to be accepted. Maybe you did too, or maybe you are, right now?  But I learnt how to live my own life eventually and I'm enjoying it. I learnt everyone has their own opinion of how to talk, act, dress, look…The whole public persona but someone says ‘to filter what you hear. Pick the right ones for self-improvement purposes but drown the unnecessary ones’…Be strong!!!

I love this song by ‘Eva’- High (Abosulutely love it!!!)

So here is me, saying, ‘Be proud of yourself. Stay true to you. Trust God (cos it’s His voice that matters eventually) and hold on to the positive’.

Look at the mirror right now, do you see a grumpy you or the best you, living your happiest life…Be yourself and don’t let anyone bring you down or determine your ‘image’.
Image source: soapnights.com

What is color of the mirror?  What you see is your choice. But never forget the benefits and consequences it might bring…

Thanks a billion for reading… Have a great weekend…
Hugs!!!

I wish I could show you, When you are lonely or in darkness, The astonishing light of your own being. ~Hafiz

No comments:

Post a Comment