Wednesday 6 February 2013

A lil' Gratitude :)


One of  my entry in my 'gratitude journal :)

T.H.A.N.K Y.O.U
2 words that make you feel like you’ve done the greatest thing in the world. Maybe, it’s not the most important words to say but it’s sure magical. 2 words I wish a little girl at Obalende knew.

2 weeks ago, me and Ozzy, one of my 'bestest' friends in the world, was at the bus stop waiting for a bus. While on the ‘extra’ long queue, a little boy walked up to us to beg for money. As a principle, my friend prefers to give other gifts rather than money, and so, she asked the kid if he’s eaten, he said no and we bought him some chips and a soft drink. Apparently, the other kids around, saw this and they came en masse asking for theirs (Would never forget the Beautiful Chaos. Helping out is beautiful. Yes?). Everyone took their chips or Fanta and left, except for this little girl (About 6 years old) who stopped, and then in the loudest voice ever, said "You did not buy Fanta for me, Abi? Na only 50 Naira Chips you buy. My God go show you and will buy my Fanta for me". You can imagine the stare we got from the people around. She gave us this long ‘hissssssssssssssssssssssss’ and 'crazy' stare like she was going to hit us. Thank God for the elderly woman who was standing in front of us ‘cos she practically saved us from her.
The 'Great' Obalende
The woman also told us that she doesn’t give that particular kid money. She said, she had given her 10 Naira before, and in her presence, the lil' kid TORE the money, screaming that the lady had ‘insulted’ her by giving her that 'SMALL' money. Talk about choices.

The sad part about that day was watching the kids give the money, food, and everything they got to a woman who was waiting somewhere in the distance to collect these and then going back to the long queues to beg AGAIN.

Thinking about that little girl, I've come to realize that sometimes we act that way, you know, are unappreciative of what someone gives us.  We might not be insulting, but still, it’s Thanks but NO thanks.

It’s same with our relationship with God. When life is all rosy, ‘it’s I love you God’, but when it doesn’t make sense, we tend to forget what he has done for us and spit out blames on Him.

Thank You. 2 words that can make a person feel special. Just say it. Mean it too. Be grateful even when you feel it’s not enough.

Below are some of my favorite quotes about gratitude to help inspire you and deepen your thinking about finding an enduring place for gratitude in your own life.
Gratitude Quotes
1.     "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." - Marcel Proust
2.    "We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." - Thornton Wilder
3.    As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy 
4.    At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer 
5.    The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.-- WIlliam James
6.    "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."-- Oprah Winfrey
7.    He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." - Epictetus

I started this habit of keeping a gratitude journal. Everyday, I write all of the things I’m grateful for and I feel so blessed when I’m done. Reading and writing on my journal especially on a bad day reminds of how much God loves me and how much I've been blessed and it helps me remain focused on Gods power to help me through whatever storm I might be facing.

Here’s an entry…
One of my favorite pastime...Writing and praising God each day :)

Just encouraging you to try it out.

Show your appreciation for others. Tell God how much you are grateful for what He’s done for you. He loves our 'THANK YOU'S'. Tell that Guy who holds the door open for you, THANK YOU. Even though it's her duty, please tell the lady that serves you at the food court, THANK YOU.

In primary school, we were taught that ‘Thank You’ is a Magic word, being a kid, I said it out of mere necessity but right now, I've grown to know its importance and it’s truly MAGICAL. Gratitude can lead to feelings of love, appreciation, generosity, and compassion, which further open our hearts and help rewire our brains to fire in more positive ways.

So, no more ‘THANKS BUT NO THANKS’....Say your THANK YOU and MEAN IT.

;))

Please, do enjoy the rest of your day......

Song of the day: Thank You by Hillsong
Video source: Youtube

Thank you so much for reading ‘bloggie’. My heart is bursting with gratitude to YOU.

Hugs :)

2 comments: